Enaam Ahmed ensured he started his 2017 BRDC British Formula 3 campaign in the best possible fashion as he claimed a clean sweep of race victories at Oulton Park with a lights-to-flag win in the third and final encounter of the weekend. Reigning US Formula 4 Champion Cameron Das hassled and harried Ahmed for the majority of the race but ultimately couldn't close enough to attempt an overtake, whilst their Carlin team-mate completed the final podium of the meeting in third.
After storming through the field and navigating around the carnage in race two to take victory, Ahmed lined up on pole position courtesy of setting the fastest lap across the first two races. He had Das alongside on the front-row and as the lights went out, it was the American who made the better getaway. However, Ahmed was able to cover him off and he led the field into Old Hall Corner.
Further back, Danish racer Nicolai Kjaergaard was slow away in third and he dropped down to seventh. Chris Dittmann Racing’s Omar Ismail took the position whilst the Double R Racing duo of Brazilian Guilherme Samaia and Brit Jamie Chadwick came to grief at Island Bend, ending both their races.
On the next tour, Ismail lost out to both Pull and Douglas Motorsport’s Callan O’Keeffe relegating him to fifth, whilst up front Das was maintaining the pressure on Ahmed. Halfway through the race, Das managed to reduce the gap to the leader down to just over half-a-second whilst Toby Sowery continued his recovery from a race two DNF and a 13th place grid position to take seventh off of Kjaergaard.
As the battle for the win began to hot up, Ahmed put in a number of fastest laps to extend the gap to Das to over 1.3s and regain control of the contest. The 17-year-old was able to see out the final few laps without any trouble to seal a historic treble on ‘Super Monday’ at Oulton Park.
Das claimed second with Pull third, O’Keeffe fourth and Ismail fifth. Ben Hingeley claimed sixth with Sowery seventh and Kjaergaard eighth. The top-10 was completed by Lanan Racing’s Aaron di Comberti and Double R Racing’s Harry Hayek.
Ahmed leads the overall standings by 24 points from James Pull, with Cameron Das eight points further behind in third. The next round of the 2017 BRDC British Formula 3 Championship takes place at Rockingham on 29/30 April.
BRDC British F3 – Oulton Park – Race Three
1. Enaam Ahmed, Carlin, 14 Laps
2. Cameron Das, Carlin, +1.833s
3. James Pull, Carlin, +8.704s
4. Callan O’Keeffe, Douglas Motorsport, +12.993s
5. Omar Ismail, Chris Dittmann Racing, +16.011s
6. Ben Hingeley, Fortec Motorsports, +16.482s
7. Toby Sowery, Lanan Racing, +17.233s
8. Nicolai Kjaergaard, Fortec Motorsports, +19.689s
9. Aaron di Comberti, Lanan Racing, +26.777s
10. Harry Hayek, Double R Racing, +27.821s
11. Petru Florescu, Douglas Motorsport, +28.717s
12. Nick Worm, Hillspeed with Cliff Dempsey Racing, +52.391s
13. Chase Owen, Hillspeed with Cliff Dempsey Racing, +1m01.152s
14. Jeremy Wahome, Chris Dittmann Racing, +1m12.219s
15. Manuel Maldonado, Fortec Motorsports, +1 Lap
DNF. Guilherme Samaia, Double R Racing, 0 Laps
DNF. Jamie Chadwick, Double R Racing, 0 Laps
DNS. Tristan Charpentier, Chris Dittmann Racing, Did Not Start
19 April 2018 - Championship leader Kjaergaard tops sunny Snetterton test
6 April 2018 - Oulton Park TV highlights – when to watch