Reigning BRDC British F3 Champion Linus Lundqvist put in an impressive performance on his GP3 test debut at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina circuit today (Thursday).
The Swedish driver, on his first visit to the F1 venue and driving the GP3 car for the first time, went seventh fastest out of 20 drivers in the afternoon session, at the wheel of the Campos Racing car.
He improved his time from the morning session by over a second, and completed a total of 58 laps across the two sessions, with his best time being equivalent of fifth on the grid for the recent round at the circuit.
Lundqvist will be back in GP3 testing action tomorrow, as he continues his evaluation of the car ahead of a planned move into the new FIA Formula 3 series, which will replace GP3 on the F1 support bill in 2019.
Ben Hingeley, a four-time British F3 race winner in 2017 was also participating in the test with Jenzer Motorsport, and posted the 12th quickest time in the morning session, and was 15th in the afternoon, while former British F3 Autumn Trophy contender Marcus Armstrong was 17th and then 19th.
GP3 Abu Dhabi test, afternoon session result:
1. Niko Kari, Trident, 1m53.890s
2. Jehan Daruvala, MP Motorsport, 1m54.461s
3. Sebastian Fernandez, Campos Racing, 1m54.708s
4. Devlin DeFrancesco, Trident, 1m54.897s
5. David Beckmann, ART Grand Prix, 1m54.957s
6. Yuki Tsunoda, Jenzer Motorsport, 1m55.043s
7. Linus Lundqvist, Campos Racing, 1m55.070s
8. Jannes Fittje, Jenzer Motorsport, 1m55.305s
9. Logan Sargeant, MP Motorsport, 1m55.342s
10. Oscar Piastri, Trident, 1m55.355s
Image courtesy of GP3 Media Service
16 December 2018 - Billy Monger receives Helen Rollason Award at BBC Sports Personality
7 December 2018 - Josh Mason confirms BRDC British F3 return with Lanan Racing
5 December 2018 - Carlin signs Lucas Petersson for 2019 BRDC British F3 season
4 December 2018 - British F3 trio honoured at annual BRDC Awards
2 December 2018 - Tom Gamble wins prestigious McLaren Autosport BRDC Award