Double R Racing's claimed the first pole position of the year after a scintillating performance in an extraordinarily close first qualifying session of the season at Oulton Park this morning (Saturday).
The 17-year-old's overall fastest time of 1m31.483s secured him pole for race one, scheduled for 14.00 this afternoon, while his second best time secured him pole position for race three, which takes place at 12.30 tomorrow (Sunday).
Foster's best lap was 0.159s clear of nearest driver, Carlin's Kaylen Frederick, which was the biggest gap between any driver on the grid, with the top-10 separated by just over four tenths of a second, and the entire 17 car field covered by just 0.856s. Frederick topped the times for much of the session, only for Foster to spring up with a couple of late improvements to grab both poles.
Nazim Azman was third fastest in the session, just 0.022s behind his teammate Frederick and 0.064s ahead of Douglas Motorsport's Kiern Jewiss. Jewiss was 0.040s clear of his teammate Ulysse De Pauw, while Hillspeed's Sasakorn Chaimingkol defied a lack of testing to set the sixth quickest time, with just 0.025s separating him from fellow Hillspeed driver Oliver Clarke.
Guilherme Peixoto was 0.027s further back in eighth for Carlin, and 0.029s clear of Lanan's Bart Horsten, with Josh Skelton (Chris Dittmann Racing) and Reece Ushijima (Hitech GP) both setting the same lap time, with Skelton taking the final spot in the race one top-10 by virtue of setting the time first. Just 0.421s covered pole man Foster and Ushijima in 11th.
The first Jordanian driver to compete in UK single seaters, Douglas Motorsport's Manaf Hijjawi, will start 12th, with his time being just 0.438s away from pole, and 0.042s clear of Chris Dittmann Racing's Nico Varrone.
Testing pace setter Kush Maini was 14th quickest for series newcomers Hitech GP, just over half a second away from pole, with Lanan's Piers Prior 15th having topped the times early on. Lanan teammate Josh Mason managed a late improvement after spending some of the session in the pits, and was within eight tenths of the ultimate pace, with Double R Racing's Benjamin Pedersen completing the 17 runners.
Race three grid
The grid for race three is based on each driver's second fastest times in qualifying, with Foster, Frederick and Azman the top-three drivers based on this. The trio were covered by less than a tenth of a second, while De Pauw moves up one spot compared to race one.
Hillspeed's Clarke will start fifth, ahead of Peixoto, with Horsten moving up to seventh ahead of Jewiss, who drops four places on the race three grid to eighth. Varrone will line-up ninth, ahead of Ushijima. Times were again very close, with 0.453s covering the top-10, and 0.878s separating the full 17 car grid. The full race three grid is shown below.
BRDC British F3 Championship, Oulton Park Qualifying result:
1. Louis Foster, Double R Racing, 1m31.483s
2. Kaylen Frederick, Carlin, +0.159s
3. Nazim Azman, Carlin, +0.181s
4. Kiern Jewiss, Douglas Motorsport, +0.245s
5. Ulysse De Pauw, Douglas Motorsport, +0.285s
6. Sasakorn Chaimongkol, Hillspeed, +0.334s
7. Oliver Clarke, Hillspeed, +0.359s
8. Guilherme Peixoto, Carlin, +0.386s
9. Bart Horsten, Lanan Racing, +0.415s
10. Josh Skelton, Chris Dittmann Racing, +0.421s
11. Reece Ushijima, Hitech GP, +0.421s
12. Manaf Hijjawi, Douglas Motorsport, +0.438s
13. Nico Varrone, Chris Dittmann Racing, +0.480s
14. Kush Maini, Hitech GP, +0.529s
15. Piers Prior, Lanan Racing, +0.646s
16. Josh Mason, Lanan Racing, +0.778s
17. Benjamin Pedersen, Double R Racing, +0.856s
BRDC British F3 Championship, Oulton Park race three grid:
1. Louis Foster, Double R Racing, 1m31.672s
2. Kaylen Frederick, Carlin, +0.082s
3. Nazim Azman, Carlin, +0.099s
4. Ulysse De Pauw, Douglas Motorsport, +0.189s
5. Oliver Clarke, Hillspeed, +0.210s
6. Guilherme Peixoto, Carlin, +0.243s
7. Bart Horsten, Lanan Racing, +0.247s
8. Kiern Jewiss, Douglas Motorsport, +0.334s
9. Nico Varrone, Chris Dittmann Racing, +0.424s
10. Reece Ushijima, Hitech GP, +0.453s
11. Sasakorn Chaimongkol, Hillspeed, +0.492s
12. Kush Maini, Hitech GP, +0.547s
13. Josh Skelton, Chris Dittmann Racing, +0.553s
14. Manaf Hijjawi, Douglas Motorsport, +0.567s
15. Benjamin Pedersen, Double R Racing, +0.825s
16. Piers Prior, Lanan Racing, +0.841s
17. Josh Mason, Lanan Racing, +0.878s
3 August 2020 - Rewatch all the action from Oulton Park
2 August 2020 - Frederick makes it a Sunday double to steal championship lead
2 August 2020 - What they said: Oulton Park race four
2 August 2020 - Race four starts at 15.30 - Frederick on pole