Chris Dittmann Racing's Ayrton Simmons began his preparations for the season opener at Oulton Park this weekend in ideal fashion this morning, as the British driver topped the times in the opening test session this morning.
Simmons' fastest time, already quicker than last year's pole, came with just under seven minutes remaining, and was a quarter of a second clear of reigning British F4 champion Kiern Jewiss, who was second fastest for Douglas Motorsport.
American Neil Verhagen claimed third fastest for Double R Racing, having topped the times on several occasions, and was 0.371s away from Simmons time, and 0.237s clear of countryman Kaylen Frederick (Carlin).
Fortec's series returnee Manuel Maldonado was fifth quickest, on the circuit where he claimed his maiden win last year, while Belgian driver Ulysse de Pauw was sixth for Douglas Motorsport.
Pavan Ravishankar was another driver to top the times during the session and wound up seventh fastest for Double R Racing, just 0.011s away from de Pauw, and a tenth clear of team mate Hampus Ericsson.
Benjamin Pedersen (Douglas) and Clement Novalak (Carlin) completed the top-10 in the session, with the next test coming up at 11.05.
BRDC British F3 Championship, Oulton Park Thursday test session one result:
1. Ayrton Simmons, Chris Dittmann Racing, 1m30.613
2. Kiern Jewiss, Douglas Motorsport, +0.270s
3. Neil Verhagen, Double R Racing, +0.371s
4. Kaylen Frederick, Carlin, +0.608s
5. Manuel Maldonado, Fortec Motorsports, +0.824s
6. Ulysse de Pauw, Douglas Motorsport, +0.902s
7. Pavan Ravishankar, Double R Racing, +0.913s
8. Hampus Ericsson, Double R Racing, +1.038s
9. Benjamin Pedersen, Douglas Motorsport, +1.066s
10. Clement Novalak, Carlin, +1.156s
11 November 2019 - British F3 alumni nominated for Autosport Awards
23 October 2019 - Hillspeed confirms Oliver Clarke as first driver signing for 2020
22 October 2019 - British F3 graduates sample FIA F3 cars at Valencia
21 October 2019 - BRDC British F3 confirms upgraded car package for 2020