Carlin's Clement Novalak claimed the fastest time in the opening BRDC British F3 test session of the day at Snetterton this morning (Thursday), after a late battle with Fortec's Johnathan Hoggard.
Novalak's time of 1m42.880s came with five minutes of the session remaining, and is over six tenths of a second quicker than last year's pole position time.
Novalak was just over a tenth clear of Hoggard, who had spells at the top of the times throughout, and was in turn 0.152s clear of Hillspeed's Sasakorn Chaimongkol in third, another driver to top the times during the session.
Carlin's Kaylen Frederick was fourth quickest, over half a second away from his team mate's time, and 0.044s clear of the third Carlin driver Lucas Petersson.
Double R duo Hampus Ericsson and Pavan Ravishankar were sixth and seventh fastest, the pair separated by just 0.014s, with Douglas Motorsport's Kiern Jewiss eighth, just over a second away from the ultimate fastest time.
Jewiss's Douglas Motorsport team mate Benjamin Pedersen was ninth, 0.017s further back, with Chris Dittmann Racing's Ayrton Simmons completing the top-10 in the session.
The red flags were brought out twice in the session, first for Double R's Neil Verhagen, who sustained accident damage inside the first 15 minutes, while Fortec's Manuel Maldonado also brought the session to a halt, but was able to resume his running in the final 20 minutes.
The second session of the day starts at 12.15.
BRDC British F3 Championship, Snetterton Thursday test session 1 result:
1. Clement Novalak, Carlin, 1m42.880s
2. Johnathan Hoggard, Fortec Motorsports, +0.104s
3. Sasakorn Chaimongkol, Hillspeed, +0.256s
4. Kaylen Frederick, Carlin, +0.548s
5. Lucas Petersson, Carlin, +0.592s
6. Hampus Ericsson, Double R Racing, +0.826s
7. Pavan Ravishankar, Double R Racing, +0.840s
8. Kiern Jewiss, Douglas Motorsport, +1.079s
9. Benjamin Pedersen, Douglas Motorsport, +1.096s
10. Ayrton Simmons, Chris Dittmann Racing, +1.298s
11. Ulysse De Pauw, Douglas Motorsport, +1.565s
12. Manuel Maldonado, Fortec Motorsports, +1.678s
13. Neil Verhagen, Double R Racing, +2.032s
14. Nazim Azman, Chris Dittmann Racing, +2.363s
15. Kris Wright, Fortec Motorsports, +2.449s
16. Josh Mason, Lanan Racing, +3.930s
19 May 2019 - What they said: Snetterton race three
19 May 2019 - Snetterton race three penalty notices
19 May 2019 - Snetterton race three starts at 14.10 - Hoggard on pole
19 May 2019 - What they said: Snetterton race two